Wiki not editable?

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Jul 16 03:00:15 UTC 2006

On Saturday 15 July 2006 20:59, "Patrick W. Barnes" <nman64 at n-man.com> wrote:

> The "unless otherwise noted" is intended to allow the Board, assorted
> committees, etc. to handle special cases where the OPL cannot apply, such
> as pages where the ACLs have been loosened to allow anyone to contribute
> without granting a copyright license.  It is not a manner for contributors
> to circumvent our licensing requirements.  The Fedora Project holds a
> copyright license for anything that is submitted by a contributor with a
> signed CLA. Using the power of that copyright license, the Fedora Project
> applies the OPL without options to documentation and website contributions.
>  That right is not revocable.

I'd like to further elaborate after talking with Toshio on IRC.  It seems
there are some questions about what the CLA does and the processes for
licensing on the wiki.

IANAL, just a person who understands this stuff.  This does not constitute
legal advice.  ;-)

1.  Changing Licenses

Once content has been submitted to the Fedora Project, the Fedora Project has
copyright privileges that cannot be provoked.  The licensing for that content
cannot be changed by the original contributor.  That power rests with the
Fedora Project, and the decision can be handled through the same chain of
command as any other.  Stipulations on the license are also not possible
after the contribution has been made.

2.  Forks

After content has been submitted to the Project, the Project has the power to
accept or reject any further changes that are licensed differently.  The
standing decision is to reject such changes.  Any unauthorized changes can be
reverted or thrown out, but those reversions must be made in whole and not
selectively.  For example, if someone modifies a wiki page and adds an
alternative licensing clause, the Project can remove all of the changes and
the licensing clause but cannot remove the licensing clause without removing
all of the changes.  The Project can forbid wiki submissions under
alternative licenses and can revoke the editing privileges of someone who
violates that decision with or without notice.

If a fork is authorized, it must be clearly labelled, and the pre-fork version
will remain under the original license.  Since the original author and the
Fedora Project hold copyright privileges, neither is bound by any copyright
license applied to the pre-fork version.

3.  Revocation of Copyright Privileges

The copyright license awarded to the Fedora Project under the terms of the CLA
cannot be revoked.  Once a contribution has been submitted, it cannot be
withdrawn.  The Fedora Project does have the ability to discard any
contribution.

4.  Original Contributions

Original contributions under alternative licenses (or not licensed for
redistribution) must be clearly marked when they are submitted.  The
contribution must be labelled with licensing restrictions and details.  The
Fedora Project has the right to refuse any contribution for any reason.
Again, the Project can forbid such submissions through the wiki and can
revoke the editing privileges of someone who violates that decision with or
without notice.

5.  Additional Rules

In addition to any legal restrictions, the Fedora Project can establish rules
to disallow different types of submissions and to deal with violations.
Rules can be published on the wiki, in mailing list descriptions, in IRC
topics, etc. to notify potential contributors of the policies.  Wiki editing
privileges can be revoked, mailing list subscriptions can be removed, IRC
channels can set bans, etc. to deal with violators.

Again, this message does not constitute legal advice and is therefore
completely worthless.  I hope this clarifies a few things.  ;-)

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/