rpms/sextractor/FC-4 sextractor.spec,1.2,1.3

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Jul 25 16:28:38 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 05:03 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > # -O3 required for performance reasons
> > CFLAGS="$(echo '%{optflags}' | sed -e 's/-O[0-9]*//') -O3"
> > make CFLAGS="$CFLAGS"
>
> Bummer. This is even worse.
>
> Again, the way this package's maintainer set CFLAGS is OK, but what he
> does is embarrassing. Seems as if he doesn't know what he is doing.
>
> I am going to file a request to packaging committee to ban -O3 and
> -fomit-frame-pointer

You should be able to just put the -O3 or whatever on the end. From the
gcc manual:

"If you use multiple `-O' options, with or without level numbers, the
last such option is the one that is effective."

Also from the gcc manual:

"`-O' also turns on `-fomit-frame-pointer' on machines where doing so
does not interfere with debugging."

So banning -fomit-frame-pointer makes sense, as optimization will
already turn it on if it doesn't break debugging.