aMSN and BWidget

Sander Hoentjen sander at hoentjen.eu
Mon Jul 31 18:35:06 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am the maintainer of aMSN in Extras, and there is currently a bug in
the FE version of aMSN. This bug occurs because upstream aMSN uses it's
own modified version of BWidget. Most of the changes are minor so that
is why it was decided to use the already packaged bwidget version for FE
amsn. It turns out however that one of the changes is really needed. I
reported this change to upstream and I hope they will incorporate it but
i haven't had a reply yet (only 2 days since i reported, so it can still
come).
In the meantime the bug is still there, and there are a few possible
fixes:
1) I put the modified bwidget in the amsn package and use that
2) I modify amsn so it can work with the bwidget that is in extras (it
will result in a bit reduced functionality (not being able to choose
chat font color anymore)
3) a small patch is applied to bwidget (which is 100% backwards
compatible, it only adds an optional option)

My hope is the change will be in upstream bwidget in the future, and if
that would happen option 3 seems the nicest one, but if it won't happen
i would prefer option 1. What are others (wart?) opinions about this?

Sander