Time to make Extras multi-lib?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Jun 22 16:54:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 14:21 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> o Minimal ("application POV"): only what doesn't natively run:
>
>   This algorithm should start with a simple manual decision of what
>   top-level packages to pull to 64 bits at all (including such not
>   existing in Fedora space, e.g. ISV products), and then pull in all
>   run-time dependencies, too.
>
> o Full compat bloat ("lib POV"): In addition to the above approach,
>   one would blindly copy every lib containing package over.

Yeah I'm somewhat confused as to what the goal is. In the case of
x86_64, IMHO multilib exists only for legacy compatability, (Mostly, for
running Wine, and maybe flash...) and in the long run, 32bit needs to
die die die. Thus the minimal approach makes sense here.

But the situation on other platforms is much different. PPC64 runs a
mostly 32bit userspace. Apparently PPC64 is better off with 32bit
software in the majority of cases.

Conflicting needs! Fun!