Time to make Extras multi-lib?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Jun 22 20:08:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 13:05 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> Except that people want to be able to continue to run older apps.  The
> 32-bit compatibility is the primary thing that makes migration to x86_64
> far easier than another arch (such as ppc or ia64).  While originally I
> was a proponent of the minimal approach, a few years of experience have
> me changing my mind about what's desired

I thought that's what I said. Older apps. Legacy. And generally, closed
source apps. If it were open source, it would be compiled 64bit, unless
the source is really really broken. (WTF is with nx, anyway? Supposedly
OpenOffice is at least getting close to 64bit clean...)

Developing for i386 on x86_64 is another matter, which really seems
better served by a chroot environment.