Re: Request for help and opinions: Rebuilding and basic checking for orphans

Am Mittwoch, den 01.03.2006, 10:37 -0700 schrieb Kevin Fenzi:
> Thorsten> Hi!  we still have a lot of orphans in extras/development/
> Thorsten> that will remain in FE5. For a list see
> Thorsten> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/FC5Status and look
> Thorsten> out for packages owned by
> Thorsten> "extras-orphan_AT_fedoraproject.org"
>
> Thorsten> Well what do we want do with them?  a) just leave them there
> Thorsten> b) check them and remove those that are broken and are not
> Thorsten> required by other programs c) rebuild the arch packages,
> Thorsten> check them afterwards and remove the broken ones
>
> Thorsten> I'd suggest c) for arch packages and b) for noarch
> Thorsten> packags. Objections?  Anyone interested it helping there?
>
> What definition of "broken" are you using?
> Doesn't rebuild?
> segfaults on startup/other app specific bug?

"segfaults on startup/other, major bugs that pretty much makes the app
useless for everyone" would be my definition.

> I personally would suggest:
>
> d) remove all of them that aren't required by other packages.
> and then all the remaining ones that are required by other packages
> should be taken over by those people who's packages need them.

Agreed. But I got the impression that some people thinks it's to late to
remove the orphan packages. But if others agree with this idea I'm fine
with it. Opinions please!

CU
thl