[games sig] Downloader for shareware data files for gpl engines such as vavoom

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 17:45:33 UTC 2006

Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) said:
> >>I see no problem here, there is however a restriction on commercial Use,
> >>but there are no restrictions on redistribution. which is all that is
> >>required for binary blobs (firmware, or am I missing something?).
> >
> >Non-commercial-use-only is *not* ok for Extras.
> Note we're talking about content (gamedata) not code here, the packaging
> guideline specifically state:
> "Shareware applications are not Open Source code, and are not acceptable
> for Fedora.

Yes, but...

> - Explicit permission is given by the owner to freely distribute without
> restrictions (this permission must be included, in "writing", with the
> files in the packaging)

without restrictions != non-commercial use only. Sorry I was that
terse.

> Now sharware data files clearly meet all of the above listed
> Requirements for firmware without question except for:
> "Explicit permission is given by the owner to freely distribute without
> restrictions (this permission must be included, in "writing", with the
> files in the packaging)"
>
> Thus that is imho what should be discussed, does the quake shareware
> license I presented allow free distributing without restriction?
>
> Now quoting the relevant part from the license again:
> "Permitted Distribution. So long as this Agreement accompanies the
> Software at all times, ID grants to Providers the limited right to
> distribute, free of charge, except normal access fees, and by electronic
> means only, the Software; provided, however, the Software must be so
> electronically distributed only in a compressed format."
>
> So does this allow free distributing? AFAIK Yes it does (IANAL)
> Is this without restrictions? Well clearly no, the following
> restrictions are made:
> -distribution must be free of charge, except normal access fees
> -by electronic means only
> -distributed only in a compressed format

Right now we structure things so people can redistribute
any CDs of Core or Extras that they want, or freely *build
OSes on top of them*.

Anything that would require 'oh, you can't include this package
XXX in something you base on Fedora' isn't really feasible.

Bill