[games sig] Downloader for shareware data files for gpl engines such as vavoom

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Mar 6 20:55:05 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) said:
>> If you build on top of you are using / modifying / extending, In essence
>> you're creating a derative work see GPL vs LGPL for libraries. No where
>> in the guidelines it says (for firmware / content) that derative works
>> have to be allowed, it only says freely distributable.
>
> A collection of X,Y, and Z isn't a derivate work of X, Y, and Z.

Agreed, but how does "distribution must be free of charge, except normal
access fees" which seems to be our only debating point stop you from
shipping it in a collection?

Don't get wrong here I would like to include doom / quake / xxx
shareware in FE for marketing reasons but I also believe that freedom
matters, so I'm also partly playing devils advocate here / searching
where the border / divide is.

Regards,

Hans