[games sig] Downloader for shareware data files for gpl engines such as vavoom

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 20:44:58 UTC 2006

Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) said:
> >>If you build on top of you are using / modifying / extending, In essence
> >>you're creating a derative work see GPL vs LGPL for libraries. No where
> >>in the guidelines it says (for firmware / content) that derative works
> >>have to be allowed, it only says freely distributable.
> >
> >A collection of X,Y, and Z isn't a derivate work of X, Y, and Z.
>
> Agreed, but how does "distribution must be free of charge, except normal
> access fees" which seems to be our only debating point stop you from
> shipping it in a collection?

Your collection may not be sold for what someone considers 'normal
access fees'. On one hand, you have Cheapbytes and friends. On the
other hand, someone sells a $400 set-top box that plays whatever
games are in Extras. The first example given would probably fall
under 'normal access fees'; the second one would almost certainly not,
and would require the hypothetcial distributor to prune Extras
for license specifics for each package.

Bill