Trying again, doom shareware license

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 21:31:15 UTC 2006

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for those getting tired, but in the first mails in this discussion
> we had both the quake and the doom licenses, the one which got discussed
> a lot was the quake one because that was dubious and turned out to be
> not ok.
>
> I believe the doom one is actually distributable under the current
> guidelines, I've attached the (ammended) license from the Debian doom
> shareware package. Opinions much valued as always.
>
> To make things easy I'll quote the IMHO most relevant part:
>
> "The DOOM shareware wad is freely distributable.  No Quake data is
> freely distributable.
>
> John Carmack"

"You may not:  modify, translate, disassemble, decompile, reverse
engineer, or create derivative works based upon the Software."

While being fully redistributable is important for Fedora, so is being
fully modifiable.  This license allows no modification at all.

Are we shipping anything else that allows free redistribution but no
modification?  AFAIK no.  I personally would love to ship this in
Fedora, but I think we shouldn't violate a central tenet in doing so.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com