syck-python vs. python-syck?

Jeff Pitman jeff.pitman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 15:37:55 UTC 2006

On 3/10/06, Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> > PS: Maybe also with MySQL-python, gstreamer08-python, gstreamer-python
> > and libopensync-plugin-python.
> While we're at it, let's rename all mono packages to mono-<pkg>, all
> java packages to java-<pkg>, and all C packages to c-<pkg>. That way the
> user can focus on what's really important to a user (the programming
> language of the software) as opposed to irrelevant things like its brand
> name that the user can identify and recognize :)

Let's not take the discussion to the extreme. The fact remains that there's
already precedent on how the naming works and even the Wiki documents this
as such. This has only to do with precedence in Python naming while using
Perl as an example of how one deviates from syck-{lang}. syck-python is
plain deceiving especially for those of us that use both Deb/Ubuntu and
Fedora.

--
-jeff