Re: [ruby] multilib and noarch

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 09:19 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Someone who knows more about ruby will have to fill in the details here
> and judge how bad the incompatiblity is or whether it actually exists,
> but I'd imagine ruby's corresponding functionality as python's distutils
> and friends (or is it only the already discussed paths in the config?)
> needs to be also modified so that noarch things are installed to that
> path.

Ruby doesn't provide much out of the box for installation of additional
libraries. People usually just write scripts (or modify existing ones)
that use the 5 paths I listed in my original email. There's at least one
script in the ruby build itself (ext/extmk.rb line 383) that assumes
that archdir is underneath rubylibdir; since this is always true in ruby
installations, it's likely that other ruby packages with binary content
make that assumption too, i.e. we definitely shouldn't mess with the
nesting of rubylibdir/archdir and sitelibdir/sitearchdir.

David