Finding file conflicts

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Mon Mar 27 15:33:34 UTC 2006

[Finally arrived at this message. Not seldomly I only mark messages
with a colour within Sylpheed and later look them up again.]

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:07:17 -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> It seems like part of the review process should be to check for file
> conflicts between the new package and all of FC/FE.  Can this be done
> easily?

With a bit of additional work, yes. Previously, we've had rpmdb-redhat and
rpmdb-fedora, but they are not available anymore, since repository
metadata has taken over. They could be used easily to avoid conflicts with
Core and an always out-of-date rpmdb-fedora-extras, which is what I did
with a small Perl script for fedora.us.

The slightly modified script uses "repoquery" from yum-utils instead:

  $ repoquery -qal > /tmp/repoquery-qal.txt

  $ rpmqfcheck.pl sweep-0.9.1-3.i386.rpm
  => File conflict with package: lam
  Package conflicts with: /usr/bin/sweep

It's a hack and also reports orphaned directories. Since I fixed a tiny
bug in it today, it's available here:

http://home.arcor.de/ms2002sep/tmp/rpmqfcheck.pl