Re: Release bumps in old branches

On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:57:52 -0400, Warren Togami wrote:

> > VS> Checking for expected NEVR order between distro branches sounds
> > VS> like a job for an automated script + public whinemail.
> >
> > Does the CVS server have enough ready information to prevent this at
> > tag time?  I.e. prevent the tagging of a release that's greater than
> > the devel branch?
> >
> >  - J<
> >

> The CVS server itself cannot prevent this at tag time, but we could add
>   the logic to the common/Makefile.common to parse the tag and rpmvercmp
> it to other branches.

That would be too limiting and error-prone. Would you want it to print a
warning only? Or refuse to tag something because a newer branch is seen as
older? Or create a new optional Makefile target? What is stored in CVS
does not matter. What is built by the buildsys matters. What would you do
if the FC-4 build succeeded and FC-5 failed? Until FC-5 build is fixed,
FC-4 can be newer. CVS is not the point where to check this.