package updates for in all repos at the same time (Was: Incoming: directfb soname problems)

Seems scop said all the important things about the problems with this
directfb update already so I like to use this opportunity to comment on
something related.

Am Samstag, den 13.05.2006, 21:44 +0300 schrieb Ville Skyttä:
> [...]
> The packages are built for all repos all the way down to FC-3 (an "EOL"d
> release).
> [...]

This (e.g. pushing a [major] version update to FE4, FE5 and devel at the
same time) is something I more and more dislike. Even if soname's don't
change -- every update bears a risk of breaking stuff (especially
updates to a new [major] version). Yes, often it works without problems,
but our experience and mails like
show that sometimes things simply break now and then. We should do our
best to avoid that our users run into such problems.

That's one of the reasons why I still would like to have a testing repo
where all (or at least the major package updates) hang out some days
until they get pushed to the proper repo. And/or a policy (or make it a
strong suggestion to packagers) that "[major] version updates should be
build for devel first; builds for stable releases shouldn't be done
sooner than five days after the devel packages was published".

Security-updates of course are outside this scope and should of course
be pushed as fast as possible.

Just my 2 cent. Other opinions?

Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora leemhuis info>