Re: Packages guidelines: documentation subpackages name

On 5/14/06, Ville Skyttä <ville skytta iki fi> wrote:
On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 17:12 +0200, Laurent Rineau wrote:
> At http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#PackageDocumentation we
> can read "it is recommended to use *-doc as the subpackage name", whereas in
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines we can read
> "- MUST: Large documentation files should go in a -docs subpackage."
>
> So, could we agree on one policy? FC and FE seem to mix the two styles of
> naming. Looking at /var/cache/yum/{core,extras}/primary.xml.gz, if found in
> fe5:
>   30 "-doc"
>   19 "-docs"
> and in fc5:
>   16 "-doc"
>   5 "-docs"

+1 to -doc.

There's also -manual which could fall into the same category and
packaged just as -doc.  Someone will probably argue that -doc should be
reserved for subpackages and -manual for ones that are built from their
own SRPM, I'll say in advance that I disagree and the user doesn't
care :)

According to the Package Review guidelines it should be "docs".

- MUST: Large documentation files should go in a -docs subpackage.