Re: Maelstrom license clause

On Sat, 13 May 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 04:30:39PM -0700, Michael Thomas wrote:

there is the following extra clause in a README file:

"The artwork and sounds used by Maelstrom are copyright Ambrosia
Software (http://www.ambrosiasw.com) and may not be redistributed
separately from the Maelstrom public GPL release."

Is this something that makes incompatible with Fedora's licensing
requirements?

It isn't consistent with the GPL which the total package is supposed
to be under, so it's an invalid license add-on, or the total package
is not GPL.

I doubt it. It may be clumsy wording but I read it as "look, Maelstrom is GPL, this also goes for the graphics and stuff" i.e. just a clarification, not a license clause at all. The GPL already forbids you to remove the license from a package, so I don't think it's GPL incompatible.

It actually says you may redistribute the artwork and sound separately as long as you send a copy of GPL with it, which is exactly what the GPL already mandates.

Linus