Kernel modules in Fedora Extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon May 15 17:45:04 UTC 2006

Am Montag, den 15.05.2006, 12:47 -0400 schrieb Dan Williams:
> On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 18:15 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> > > Is there anything needed from the buildsystem for this?  AFAIK you can
> > > already to i686, i586, ppc, and x86_64 kernel modules.
> > Well, in and ideal world plague, mock or something else would pass the
> > - version of the latest kernel to the rpmbuild-call via "--define
> > kversion foo"
> > - all variants (smp, "", xen0, xenU, ...) via "--define kvariants bar
> > baz"
> > when building the package. That would avoid the hardcoding of those vars
> > in the spec file.
> I think we can do that in a sane way, yes.

Great :)

Ohh, I forgot -- we currently use something like

ExclusiveArch: i586, i686, x86_64, ppc

to specify the target archs to build for. Some people don't like that --
it would be good if the buildsys could handle this, too (but of course
the buildsys should not try to build for i386 -- that will fail).

> > >   ppc64iseries and
> > > ppc64 support isn't there yet though...
> > ppc64 would probably require a special builder afaik where *.ppc64 isn't
> > excluded? I tried that once -- worked fine.
> Well, AFAIK Fedora runs 32-bit on ppc64 except for the kernel and
> possibly glibc (?)

yes, glibc and some other ppc64 packages where 64 bit might be an
advantage.

> , so usually we'd exclude all
> *.ppc64 from the pull anyway.

Yeah, I know. For ppc-build that's okay and the best solution, but to
build ppc64 kmod's we need to include at least kernel-devel*.ppc64 and
probably some other crucial packages, too (glibc.ppc64 libgcc.ppc64 ?
maybe others ).

I tried to build a kmod for ppc64 with mock once -- worked just fine
after removing the
Exclude = *.ppc64
from the mock-conf for the target and putting
ppc64-redhat-linux
into /etc/rpm/platform on the host. So it shouldn't be a big deal to set
a plague-builder up for ppc64 somewhere. But how to we make sure that
only kmod's are build for ppc64 (and not everything). Can plague handle
that?