Re: [Fedora-music-list] Re: package naming question: muse -vs - MusE

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 20:44 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 18/05/06, Rex Dieter <rdieter math unl edu> wrote:
> >
> > Yep, no, respectively.
> >
> > Not sure of the wisdom of the Obsoltes/Provides: muse, since part of the
> > point of this discussion was the name collision with something else
> > named muse.
>
> Yeah, I was concerned about that - but I think this is the only way to
> deal with the upgrade path. And I thought that we had (more or less)
> settled on using an epoch for the other muse package to avoid
> problems. Am I missing something ?

Epochs just trump version/release numbers, that's all.

E.g. foo epoch 1 version 0.00001 is "later" as far as rpm is concerned
than foo epoch 0 version 15.7.

If you obsolete "muse" (unversioned), all packages of that name will go,
regardless of their epoch.

Paul.