Re: Question about "shlib-with-non-pic-code", possibly caused by assembler code?

> Well, here is some of the assembly:
[...]
>          movl %edx,overflow

This is a non-PIC data reference.  The code has to determine its PC and add
that to a PC-relative offset (or GOT-relative, usually, which is an
adjusted PC-relative offset).  The changes are not very hard to make, but
have to be done with an eye to the register usage in the code and so forth.
I'm sure you can find other assembly code around that handles PIC in the
canonical ways, or look at the output of the compiler.  But, as I said, it
takes some attention from someone with knowledge of assembly on that machine.