PHP packaging guidelines

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri May 26 22:33:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 19:54 +0200, Remi Collet wrote:
> Andreas Thienemann a écrit :
> > And about the naming conflicts: It's possible. The pear and pecl projects
> > are not sharing the same namespace.
> You're right.
> > Thus a conflict could occur, even
> > though I haven't looked into the matter if there are already conflicting
> > names.
> >
> I've look and don't see any conflict at this time.
>
> PECL packages could(should) probably drop the pecl  (php-foo) as some
> extensions from core php has been dropped and put to pecl (mailparse,
> with php 4.2  for ex.) and other pecl extensions has been included in
> php main core tarball (pdo, with php-5.1 for ex.)

We might need to add some php-pecl() provides in the main php package.

> Only one extension in extras with  pecl : php-pecl-mailparse.
> Lot of extensions without pecl : php-mhash, php-mcrypt, php-tidy,
> php-dbase...

There's always a little pain in doing standards after packages are
built. It's better that we do it now before its even worse.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!