splitting of a source package

Hello,

I would like to split the cernlib source package to match what is done
in debian (debian is more or less the real upstream for cernlib, which
is abandonned by the the CERN).

I don't think that there is a guidelines on that. Should I resubmit the
packages for a review? Or just add requests on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/CVSSyncNeeded

Last question, for the mclibs package which was once in the cernlib package
I think should do something like (assuming that cernlib-2005-22 is split):

Obsolete: cernlib < cernlib-2005-22

Is it wrong or right?

--
Pat