FESCo Meeting Minutes for 2006-09-7

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Sep 10 01:18:47 UTC 2006

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> If there's one thing I don't like about the name "Enterprise Extras" it's
> that it suggests too much about the _type of software_ that is offered,
> instead of the target distribution the software is built for. It is too
> generic a name.
>
> "Enterprise" simply is not the name of a distribution and not the name of
> a project either. It suggests that it's extra software specifically for
> enterprise-level target groups, which is strange when that's only because
> Fedora packages are built for just another distribution.

using the same reason you built up for the project name, CentOS-Extras
seems a much better fit since thats the distro its going to target and
be built on.

Using Fedora in the name is a really bad idea, imho. Its going to be
very misleading to the users as to whats going on. I've actually had >
100 emails from people looking at centos.karan.org/ as to where they can
find the packages for CentOS ( they seem to look at the Fedora Extras
word and assume the pkgs wont work on CentOS )

> "Fedora Extras" is neutral in that it's extra packages from the Fedora
> Project and doesn't say anything about what type of software it might be,
> as Fedora is also the base name of the distribution.

Because Fedora is the name of the distro, thats going to be very confusing.