Re: Initial Proposal for doing Enterprise Extras

On 9/21/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora leemhuis info> wrote:
Hi all!

I've waited until now to reply because I've thought about this
suggestion for a while...

smooge, thx for your suggestions!

Stephen John Smoogen schrieb:
> I would like to suggest the following plan for Enterprise Extras:
> 1) There are 4 channels per {Scientific/Centos} Enterprise Linux
>      extras
>      extras-devel
>      extras-testing
>      extras-updates
>    [proposed naming convention: extras-2el, extras-3el, extras-4el, extras-5el]

The idea is nice, but I think this is going to be much to complicated.

It is probably too complicated, but I have not seen a proposal that
would be useful for an enterprise environment that is not complicated

What does someone who is running an enterprise environment want from "extras"

A) Transperancy of the methods of how a package is created,
maintained, qa'd and pushed into production.

B) That the level of testing would meet what someone who is running
mission critical apps have a level of trust.

C) That if a package is broken, how is it broken, why is it broken,
and who/when is fixing it.

Basically if I am subscribing to a repository for my systems.. I want
to know that it is NOT going to cause my mail cluster to stop
recieving emails at 2 am because someone pushed out the brand-new
release from squirrel-nuts.org of a perl module that had a side effect
but no one bothered to test it before it hit extras.

Enterprise level extra packages are definately where I would want
someone like Ralf keeping an eye on things. You do not want a package
monkey "Oh I wanted VOCP for our paging system.. so here is it for
Enterprise Extras.. if it breaks.. keep all the pieces." [This is
where the packager gets a 'polite' email from Ralf saying please try
again in the way that only Ralf can.]