pan orphaned - willing to volunteer for maintainership

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Sep 24 17:51:50 UTC 2006

Hi fellows,

the Pan newsreader - http://pan.rebelbase.com/ - was so far maintained
by mpeters and is now since 2006-09-19 on the list of orphaned packages
- http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/OrphanedPackages. To not
loose this piece of software from the pool I would jump into it, if
nobody else is interested.

Pan in the devel branch of CVS is version 0.99, which means it is from
the upstream side beta / complete rewrite tree, dated May 28, 2006. FE5
and FE4 both ship the stable upstream release 0.14.2.91, not touched in
upstream since Jan 24, 2004.
 From my point of view I can not judge whether the Pan upstream
development will fix bugs and extend functionality to release the 1.0
within the next 6 weeks. Though the Pan site states for the latest beta
release from August 18, 2006:

"Compared to previous weeks, this is a very incremental relase. 1.0 is
just around the corner..."

Question:
What should be done? There are 2 possible routes I see:
a) Keeping the beta / development upstream and doing a pan FE update
rebuild from 0.99 -> 0.113.
b) Increasing the epoch to get the same stable release version of FE5
and FE4 into devel / soon to be released FE6.

This is a call for votes - especially by those of you using Pan.

Regards

Alexander