repo layout for EPEL (Re: Initial Proposal for doing Enterprise Extras)

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Sep 24 19:48:49 UTC 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Thorsten Leemhuis schrieb:
>> But as I said: I thinks it's to complicated. So I put up the
>> following up for discussion - it's just and idea, I'm not really sure
>>  it it doable (or worth realizing):
>>
>> Two devel repos for now:
>
> I've thought about this some more; I think it's to complicated as well.
> So how about this layout:
>
> testing/el4/
> testing/el5/
> el4/
> el5/

that looks good to me, with one change. Move testing to under the
{release}/ so it becomes el4/{testing,stable}/{arch}/ - makes life a lot
easier for Rsync targets.

> testing/el{45}/ (and later 6789...) -- All new packages goto here
> normally. Testing will use a rolling release scheme. Repo depends on the
> corresponding el{45} branch. Repo gets into a feature freeze round about
> two (four?) weeks before each {RHEL|CentOS} dot release update (4.4 ->
> 4.5 or 5.0 -> 5.1) and packages get copied over to the stable repo when
> that dot release gets published.

I have a problem with this wallclock based rollover from testing ->
stable. I'd be much happier if all non-security-related updates, sat in
testing for 100 downloads and/or 10 days. before moving over.

w.r.t security-related-updates, we'll - lets talk about those :), eg. it
should need atleast 1 person *other* than the packager to approve of it
( at the very least, in the absence of any QA process, as Spot has
already pointed out )

> el{45}/ (and later 6789...) -- stable branch; contains the packages for
> {RHEL|CentOS}{45}. Packages are locked down there and only get updated
> for security reasons after they were tested in testing for two (?)
> days.

I really dont follow your idea of 'locked down' - if it means a version
freeze, much like upstream EL base, I have doubts if thats going to ever
work - AFAIK, FExtras does not have the knowledge base amongst packagers
to get into issues like backporting fix's and bugs. I might be wrong,
but I would be surprised if I was wrong.

- KB