Re: Patents != patents ?

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:

I would ask the patent holders if they can explicitely allow Fedora
redistribution of vtk if it is deemed a viable modus by fedora
(legal?).

Which license is vtk under? If it is BSD-like I understand the issue, but if it's (L)GPL the license text says it implies that the authors give a royalty-free license of their own patents for anyone using the code under the (L)GPL, and this is actually quite common I think, and then there is no issue, we (all (L)GPL software) already have a license for the patents.

Linus