Re: Patents != patents ?

Axel Thimm wrote:
On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 10:37:55AM +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:

I would ask the patent holders if they can explicitely allow Fedora
redistribution of vtk if it is deemed a viable modus by fedora
Which license is vtk under? If it is BSD-like I understand the issue, but if it's (L)GPL the license text says it implies that the authors give a royalty-free license of their own patents for anyone using the code under the (L)GPL, and this is actually quite common I think, and then there is no issue, we (all (L)GPL software) already have a license for the patents.

Unfortunately it's BSD like. I wasn't aware of this kind of difference
between the licenses, thanks for clarifying.

Still the issue remains: The authors have hold of the patents and
fedora extras would need special permission. Would fedora
extras/legal/"" go along?

Dont think that would be acceptable. What if we move the package from extras to core? What about all the Fedora derivatives? Special persiflages to only Fedora wouldnt solve this.