Help with desktop-file-install

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Feb 20 16:29:54 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 20 February 2007, Rex Dieter wrote:

> Add
> Encoding=UTF-8
> (or other as appropriate) to the .desktop file.

Note that even though desktop-file-{install,validate} currently whines if the
Encoding key is not present, it's deprecated in Desktop Entry Specification
1.0.

The spec isn't very clear about exactly how should one specify the encodings
[0], but I gather in 1.0 compliant desktop files it's using the .ENCODING
part of keys that can take a localestring as a value and omit the
Encoding=... key altogether, for example:

Comment[fi_FI.UTF-8]=...

More info: http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/1.0/ (Localized
values for keys, Deprecated items, The Legacy-Mixed Encoding).

[0] Well at least it's not clear to me.  If someone understands/knows better,
clarifications welcome.