Proposal: cross-compiling / development packaging guidelines

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Feb 22 07:49:27 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 16:26 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
<snip>

> The default for GCC is ${prefix}/$(target)/{lib|include}.
> This default is almost impossible to change.

I'm glad the things I "came up" with, closely match how you do things, thats
good to hear and for me a confirment that I'm on the right track.

>> 5) Docs (manpages, info and docs under %doc) will not be installed as they
>>     will be identical to the native version docs,
>
> What you say only partially applies to gcc/binutils/gdb. Their section 3
> man-pages are canonicalized (they install as <target>-manpage), hence
> are free of conflicts with a native gcc. section-7 man-pages and infos
> however conflict.

Okay, so since the are installed as <target>-manpage, they won't conflict, but
will they contain any different content? I see no difference between "man
arm-linux-as" and "man as", since there is no difference is it worth installing
the same manpage twice, I know that one might only install the cross-toolchain
and not the native one, but then we will be missing the section 7 manpages,
info files etc already, and what are the changes of someone actually objecting
to installing the native toolchain (even if just to get the docs)?

> This is the classical standard GCC wrapper approach for non-multilib'ed cross-toolchains.

So even more agreement good to hear :)

>> 8) The SRPMS for all these packages will most of the time contain the exact
>>     same tarbals as the native binutils / gcc / libs
>>
>>     Possible solutions:
>>     a) Live with the extra diskspace / bandwidth cost this induces upon
>>        our mirrors
> That's what I'd do.
>
> An alternative would be to build different versions inside of the same
> SRPMS at one time.

That would require coordination between the cross-compile stuff maintainer and
the native maintainer, also that would force a rebuild of both native and cross
compile stuff if one of the 2 changes. I thought of this too but I don't see
this as a very realistic option.

Regards,

Hans