Re: Packaging KDE window decorations, etc

On 2/23/07, Francois Aucamp <faucamp csir co za> wrote:
Good work so far!

I just have a few suggestions:

from wiki:
1. Themes for Amarok should be named
   kde-themes-amarok-%{packagename}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm.

- I don't think this is necessary, especially since lots of Gnome users
also use amarok - IMO it could be something like:
amarok-theme-%{packagename}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm.

The same goes for k3b, as I also know of a few people that use k3b in
Gnome.

Actually, I think most (all?) "application-level" themes should _not_
have a prefix such as "kde-themes-"; imo they are not strictly part of
the "KDE-naming scheme", and it over-complicates things a bit. :-)

As for the kde-decoration-%{type}-%{packagename}/{kwin-%{packagename}
debate, I'm happy with both. However, if we are going to use something
like kde-style-* and kde-icon-* for widget styles and icons, it might be
better to stick to kde-decoration-* so that everything looks similar.
We could even do something like:
kde-kwin-(%{type}-)%{packagename}
where %{type} is optional, depending on whether or not something like
deKorator is required.

Your PyQt app sounds interesting; some kind of "find KDE stuff"
yum-frontend? I would find that _very_ useful - let me know if I can
help you out with that... :-)

Still very much in the idea (all in my head stage), but I will try to
materialize it as soon as possible.

Cheers,
-Francois

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 16:22 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 2/22/07, Chitlesh GOORAH <chitlesh fedoraproject org> wrote:
> > On 2/22/07, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> >
> > > Be sure to critique so that I do much better next time on the
first try.

> > Wouldn't it be better with
> > kwin-%{packagename}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm.
> > instead of

kde-decoration-%{type}-%{packagename}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm.

> > regards,
> > Chitlesh
> > --
>
> It would definetly be shorter, but I'm thinking of being able to write
> a PyQt app that can simply display apps from `yum list "kde-*"`
>
> --
> Fedora Core 6 and proud

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice