Re: using non-standard optflags (-O3, in particular)

Matthew Miller wrote:

How about I include a specific benchmark test in build section that runs
for, say, a minute, and then use that to auto-select between O2 and O3 on a
per-build basis? :)

As a compromise, you could supply both in the same RPM, or even split off the -O3 version into a subrpm with some sort of suffix to distinguish it from the 'default' -O2 version.

eg:

/usr/bin/someprogram       (-O2)
/usr/bin/someprogram_O3    (-O3)

IIRC i've seen similar things done in the past, for example where it might be advantageous to supply both an OpenGL version and a non-OpenGL version. Coincidentally I had to deal with a package for another repo where upstream used -O3 by default and the resultant binary was horribly unstable but -O2 was fine.

--
Ian Chapman.