PPC CFLAGS [Was: Re: rpms/openarena/devel openarena.spec, 1.1, 1.2]

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jan 12 13:08:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 07:48:54AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> Just a reminder not to exclusively target PPC machines with Altivec in
> your packages (unless they are scientific or something).

Why exclude scientific? They will break just the same. Of course the
need there is much higher.

> Compiling with altivec is fine; but sticking altivec in CFLAGS for your
> _entire_ build is usually not fine.

What is the difference? If a unit has been compiled with altivec and
the resulting binary calls something in this unit on a non-altivec
system your binary will still boom, or not?

E.g. if we need to support non-altivec system then altivec must be
strictly banned unless - as you wrote - the software is smart enough
to do it at runtime (which is seldom).

Are there relevant numbers of G3 systems out there that we want to
support (excluding the unreleased G3+altivec chip)?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net