About kernel updates: Extras and Core

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Jan 19 08:03:59 UTC 2007

On 19.01.2007 08:28, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> I have been suffering a problem when there is a kernel update: My gpsca*
> packages are being removed from my system due to dependency problem,
> because there is no matching gspca package in atrpms
> (http://www.atrpms.net/dist/fc6/gspca/) for the new  kernel.
>
> That is bad, since I will have to wait until atrpms catches it up,
> rebuilds the package for new kernel , etc. Until then, I can't use my
> webcam or I have to make my own rpm. A regular user won't do that, and
> may not reinstall webcam module again...
>
> The solution could be pushing people that builds packages against kernel
> for building new packages 1-2 days before the new kernel package is
> announced. I don't have a better idea for now.

My 2 cent:

- poke the maintainers of drivers like gspca to send their code upstream
to the kernel maintained by Linus -- that solves this and several other
problems and has a lot more benefits for everyone (including the driver
maintainer!)

- some drivers are not able to get merged upstream. We need a good
packaging standard for those (I'd say a mix of what atrpms, freshrpms
and Extras uses currently), maybe a dedicated repo (for those that are
not mergeable yet) with a big fat warning sign and a buildsys that
rebuilds the kernel module packages automatically as soon as a new
kernel gets pushed

Waiting "1-2 days" might help in some situations, but we never should
have not wait to push out a new kernel if it fixes security problems.

Cu
thl