Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2007-03-03

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Mar 4 17:46:48 UTC 2007

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:18:32 +0100
bugs.michael at gmx.net (Michael Schwendt) wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:08:28 -0800, Christopher Stone wrote:
>
> > This report seems to be incomplete and may be missing an entire
> > class of dependency problems.
> >
> > For example, I cannot update the latest xosd package because
> > bmp-xosd has not been compiled against the new xosd release, yet
> > this is not showing up in the report.
>
> It has been in the report. Read on below.

... snipp...

> However, once the package is gone from the repository, it won't show
> up in the reports anymore. This is less than ideal, but we've had to
> delete broken and obsolete sub-packages from the repository more
> often than they violated an upgrade path.
>
> The missing obsoletes is a fundamental problem, not specific to
> Extras. There is no automatic garbage collection during upgrades.
> Usually the release notes only say "remove package foo" or something
> like that. One could make "xosd" obsolete "bmp-xosd <= some-version",
> but would that be correct when xosd does not provide the
> functionality of bmp-xosd? Considering that audacious obsoletes bmp,
> maybe there is a substitute of bmp-xosd for the audacious-plugins
> package?

Yeah, I am not sure what to do here... There is a audacious xosd
plugin, but it's not part of xosd, it's a totally seperate upstream
source from the audacious folks, so I would think it would be better to
be it's own package...

So, I could:

- Do nothing. This means people who have bmp-xosd installed will see a
broken dep and have to manually 'rpm -e bmp-xosd' to get back on track.
Not nice to make end users have to do that. ;(

- Add a 'obsoletes' to the main xosd package. This would help end
users, but this package doesn't really provide bmp-xosd anymore, so
should it have to obsolete it? I guess this is cleaner..

Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to fix this?

kevin