garbage-collector.rpm ? (Was: Re: Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2007-03-03)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Mar 4 19:10:33 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram schrieb:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:18:32 +0100
>> bugs.michael at gmx.net (Michael Schwendt) wrote:
>>> The missing obsoletes is a fundamental problem, not specific to
>>> Extras. There is no automatic garbage collection during upgrades.
> Do we know of any distribution that handles it better?

No idea, but maybe we could ship a "garbage-collector.7-1.fc7.rpm" in
the repo that simply obsoletes all packages that aren't shipped anymore
and don't get obsoleted by other packages.

This would improve the "yum update fc6 -> f7" scenario a lot and
shouldn't be to hard to realize.

But how to actually use that rpm? Only for old orphans/dead.packages
from Fedora where we know the deps won't get satisfied? Or for all
orphans that aren't shipped in a new distro version anymore -- people
then might wonder where the package went, but maybe that better then to
leave unsupported packages behind on users systems.

CU
thl