garbage-collector.rpm ? (Was: Re: Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2007-03-03)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Mar 5 13:11:35 UTC 2007

On 05.03.2007 13:47, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 08:10:33PM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram schrieb:
>>> Do we know of any distribution that handles it better?
>> No idea, but maybe we could ship a "garbage-collector.7-1.fc7.rpm" in
>> the repo that simply obsoletes all packages that aren't shipped anymore
>> and don't get obsoleted by other packages.
> And what if such a package gets picked up by another repo?

It would need to provide a newer one (the obsoletes in the garbage
collector rpm of course needs to be versioned).

But I'd say we shouldn't care to much about this corner case -- getting
the old stuff away is more important IMHO. Further: it would be best for
everyone if the maintainer of "another repo" would simply continue to
maintain the package in Extras ;-)

CU
thl