Why aren't R packages noarch?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Mar 6 23:14:38 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:58:21PM +0100, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> Platform dependent files MUST be in %{_libdir}. There is no reason, why
> noarch packages should not use %{_libdir}.

Reason is consistency with the FHS.

> Making R use two locations for its packages (thereby causing more
> problems than it is worth) only based on whether a package includes
> binaries or not only causes confusion.

I am personnaly used to the FHS, and to me the reverse is true: having
noarch package files below %{_libdir} confuses me. noarch perl and
python files below %_libdir have always puzzled me. I am perfectly able
to live with the current situation situation, however, especially if,
as it seems to be the case, R isn't ready to search in 2 locations.

--
Pat