[gtk-i18n-list] On CJK font selection (was Re: [Fwd: Re: Request for review and advice on wqy-bitmap-fonts fontconfig settings])

Qianqian Fang fangqq at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 03:56:53 UTC 2007

hi

For traditional Chinese used in Taiwan, people generally put commas
and periods (full periods) near the center lines of the Chinese characters.
But for simplified Chinese in mainland China, these marks are placed
within the lower quadrant from the bottom of the glyph, similar to Latins.

Funny that in traditional Chinese literatures, no punctuations were
systematically used until the last 100 years, as introduced from
western world :)

as to the screenshots, I guess those are related to the settings of the
font (arphic/uming in this case), and comma does looks to be a little
bit too low and overlaps with the next character in vertical mode.