[gtk-i18n-list] On CJK font selection (was Re: [Fwd: Re: Request for review and advice on wqy-bitmap-fonts fontconfig settings])

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Dec 13 07:49:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 12:23 +0900, mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp wrote:

> http://www.pango.org/ScriptGallery?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Vertical.png
> http://www.pango.org/ScriptGallery?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=VerticalSimple.png
>
> In the vertical texts, the 3rd character (punctuation
> after "好") seems (for me) to be located at too-low
> position, as if they were vertically-centerlined glyph
> based on horizontal-writing mode. Qianqian, for Chinese
> users' eyes, they seem to be correctly positioned?

Most probably the font doesn't have the vertical variants.  If it has,
Pango will use it, as you can see in the brackets in the last line where
the brackets unlike other characters are actually rotated:

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

...very few phenomena can pull someone out of Deep Hack Mode, with two
noted exceptions: being struck by lightning, or worse, your *computer*
being struck by lightning.  -- Matt Welsh