Bunch of new Fonts added to review list

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Nov 25 19:07:34 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Inspired by Máirín's activity I've packaged a few fonts which are now
stuck into review:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Fonts/Triaging/Pipeline?action=show#review-needed

They will probably be the last fonts I'll package since I don't believe
being responsible for too many different packages is healthy (ok I'll
probably finish the Greek Font Society fonts)

Some notes:

– these are all OTF fonts, so they won't work in apps that can't handle
this format. Some offenders are well-known (OpenOffice.org in
particular, see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Fonts/QA#known-problems). Go
comment/vote in the various upstream issue trackers if you want this
fixed.

– I didn't package the TrueType variants of the Greek Font Society
fonts: most of the TrueType archives do not include a clear license like
the OTF ones, they're older so I've no idea if they include the whole
last version of the fonts, they declare the same font names and I don't
want to find out how applications will react to the same font in two
different format on-system. I may reconsider if someone convinces the
Greek Font Society to release the same nice archives they did for OTF
fonts, and if the fonts in those archives declare a different font name
(for example GFS Didot TT)

– I used the font files most recent timestamp as version since the fonts
all declared a 1.0 version but had obviously been modified several times
in their lives. Again if someone convinces the Greek Font Society to use
proper versioning I may change this in the future.

– most fonts have been declared on fontconfig priority 60, which mean
they may take precendence over other latin fonts if neither DejaVu, nor
Liberation are installed. Nevertheless I didn't just blindly cut and
pasted fontconfig rules, but tried to adapt them to each font.

– I do not intend to group the Greek Font Society fonts in any
particular way. If there is enough user demand I may create a GFS comps
group, but right now I plan to just ship separate fonts files.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot