Fwd: [Fwd: the ivory tower and the bazaar]

Vasile Gaburici vgaburici at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 13:50:41 UTC 2008

Depends how international you want it! Adobe Pro fonts have many
glyphs, especially the newer fonts.
Comparing the number of glyphs:

Fedora fonts
~~~~~~~~~~~~
DejaVu Serif Book: 2885
DejaVu Sans Book: 5270
DejaVu Sans Mono Book: 3020
Liberation Serif Regular: 668
Liberation Sans Regular: 675
Liberation Mono Regular: 670
Linux Libertine Regular: 2388
Charis SIL Regular: 3289
Doulos SIL Regular: 3288
Gentium Regular: 1699
The URW fonts I got in OpenType have 300 or so glyphs. The type-1
Fedora ships, which have Cyrillic but
broken Romanian, have around 500.

Adobe Pro
~~~~~~~~~
Adobe Caslon Pro Regular: 801
Minion Pro Regular: 1668
Arno Pro Regular: 2846
Garamond Premier Pro Regular: 2735
Myriad Pro Regular: 846
Courier Std Medium: 374 [I don't have any Pro monospaced]

MS XP + EU Expansion Font Update
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Arial Regular: 1680
Times New Roman Regular: 1680
Verdana Regular: 913
Microsoft Sans Serif Regular: 2259
Courier New Regular: 1318 (this actullay lacks Romanian glyphs, it
wasn't updated)

MS Vista (actually these are from PPT Viewer 2k7, I don't have Vista)
~~~~~~~~
Cambria Bold: 979 [note: fontmatrix cannot read ttc files, like the
Cambria Regular + Math]
Constantia Regular: 994
Calibri Regular: 1121
Corbel Regular: 987
Candara Regular: 966
Consolas Regular: 709

MS Office 2k3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Palatino Linotype Regular: 1328
Tahoma Regular: 2036

So, DejaVu Sans may win the number of glyphs contest, but I wouldn't
print stuff in DejaVu. Linux Libertine is much better in that respect.
Liberation is somewhere in between. What Linux really needs is a sans
version of Libertine! If I were Redhat management I'd pay Philipp Poll
or the SIL fokes instead of Ascender Corp! Btw, Charis SIL is okay for
some jobs, but it is a slab serif.

Btw, I have no need to write Chinese or Arabic, but there commercial
fonts for those too!