Building a database of free gamecontent?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Aug 16 17:52:53 UTC 2006

Wart wrote:
>> Hans de Goede wrote:
>>
>>> So is a free (game) content database a good idea? And if it is then does
>>> anyone know some existing (preferably web-based) software to maintain
>>> it? And if there is such software is anyone willing to build a website
>>> with it for a free content project?
>>>
>>> I wouldn't mind filling the database (a bit) but I'm not an
>>> infrastructure type of person.
>>
>> It looks like these guys had the same idea:
>>
>> http://freegamearts.myexp.de/
>>
>> And another collection of sites, some unreachable:
>>
>> http://debianlinux.net/multimedia.html#game_data
>>
>> It would be better to start by trying to contribute to these groups
>> before starting something new.
>
> I realized after posting this that I may have sounded a bit dismissive.
>   I didn't mean to be.  I agree that a free game content database is a
> good idea, and apparently so have others.  On #fedora-games Rahul posted
> a link to Debian's game resources page:

Don't worry I didn't take you mail in any neagtive way. Still all these
links site are ok (and maybe we should start with expanding one as a
first step) but what I really hand in mind is a site where a game
developer can click on textures -> wall textures and then get
(thumbnails of) all free wall textures known, so that he can see in one
page all known available wall textures instead of having to click
through many sites. Each texture would then ofcourse be accompanied with
a License tag on this very same page.

> http://debianlinux.net/games.html
>
> This contains not only a list of games available from Debian, but other
> game-related resources, such as the free content archives above.
>
> I'll add this link to our SIG wiki page, as I think it contains a lot of
> good pointers to games and related tools that people can consider
> packaging.

Yes thats a good idea.

Regards,

Hans