Packaging log files

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Sat Nov 11 10:42:35 UTC 2006

Hey there,

I have made a package of Glest (http://www.glest.org). However, something
bothers me. I've made the following layout :
/usr/libexec/glest/glest (game binary)
/usr/share/glest/ (game directory, where the rest of the files are)
/usr/share/glest/glest -> /usr/libexec/glest/glest (symlink)
/usr/bin/glest (script to run the real binary after cd'ing in the proper
directory)

This works, but on startup, the executable logs its activity in a log file
located in the same directory as the executable (/usr/share/glest)
This file has to be writable. Currently, my quick and drity fix was to
replace this file with a symlink to /tmp/glest.log.
What would the proper fix be ? I could symlink it to a /var/games/glest
directory which would be chmod 1777, but how can I make sure that two users
on the same machine can play ?
I think the proper fix would be to have glest look for a log file in
~/.glest/glest.log instead, but I'm not a C coder (sadly)...
Anyone has guidelines on how to do this ?

Thanks
Aurélien
http://aurelien.bompard.org  ~~~~  Jabber : abompard at jabber.fr
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein