nogravity data license

Brian Pepple bpepple at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 4 20:38:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 22:34 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Peter Lemenkov (in the CC) just edited the wiki and moved nogravity from the
> interesting games to package list to the list of games which we will not
> package, because the readme in cvs states that the data files are copyrighted:
> http://nogravity.cvs.sourceforge.net/nogravity/nogravity/README.TXT?revision=1.3&view=markup
>
> However the readme was last updated February 13, 2005 and in februari 2006 the
> datafiles were added to the sourceforge download page, see:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=131322
>
> And the release notes of this adding say:
> "Release Name: 2.0
>
> Notes:
> Changes: - Added GPL license."
> See:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?group_id=131322&release_id=394567
>
> Which to me clearly means that upstream has relicensed the data under the GPL,
> also notice that if you download the latest datafiles a GPL COPYING file is
> included, and that that file is the only included license info in the data tarbal.
>
> And for the final proof, here is upstreams FAQ, which states that the gamedata
> has been relicensed under the GPL as of the 2.0 gamedata release:
> "You state on the download page
> "No Gravity is free of charge, covered under the GPL license [...]".
> Well, look, if you say No Gravity (whichever spelling is right), it means
> all of it, which I learned isn't true, as the game data apparently is
> "only" freeware.
>
> Source code is GPL 2.0. Game data is under GPL (big changes compared with
> version 1.99)"

That's good news.  When I was in discussions with them a few years ago,
they didn't seem to have much interest in releasing the data under a
free license. I don't see any problem with moving back onto the wiki,
but it would probably be a good idea to get spot in the loop with regard
to the licensing before approving the package.

/B
--
Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org>

BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B  CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E