Urban Terror

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 27 03:01:16 UTC 2007

Hi,

Urban Terror is a popular total conversion/mod based on the Quake 3
engine. It is a realistic style game similar to Counter Strike. Works
well already with the Quake 3 engine available in the repository.

Instructions
------------

# yum install quake3
# wget ftp://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/games/urbanterror/UrbanTerror40_full.zip
(536 MB)
# unzip UrbanTerror40_full.zip
# su
# mv q3ut4/ /usr/share/quake3
# exit
# quake3 +set fs_game q3ut4

Trying to run it from the mod menu will fail with a "hunk alloc" error.
So don't bother. Let me know if it works for you.

Packaging
---------

It doesn't allow redistribution. The readme has this gem.

"Urban Terror is distributed free over the Internet and is covered by
the Quake 3 SDK licence agreement [EULA]. The mod files may not be sold
[in any form] or distributed on physical media unless with permission
from iD Software.

For further information on legal use of programs derived from Quake 3
source code, please contact their respective authors.
"

While it may indeed be possible to secure redistribution rights from id
since they are a very Linux friendly company, we could do something to
make this easier meanwhile. Create a package called urbanterror which
depends on the quake3 package and uses autodownloader to download the
game data, create a menu entry which calls the above command. Should be
pretty easy to do. Anyone interested?

Rahul