Notes on games spin

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Sep 21 07:13:45 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>

>> Not in this case, thje idea is that the (error) dialog gets shown when
>> the user tries to launch a 3d game from the menu.
>>
>> The idea is to create a generic wrapper script and then modify all
>> opengl games to use this (atleast all in the kickstart file)
>
> I think this would way too annoying. I just want to provide a gentle
> nag. Not to frustrate users every time they try to launch 3D games which
> I suspect will happen if we modify all the related menu entries to
> launch a dialog box.

Note that the dialog will _only_ be shown when dri (direct rendering) is not
available, so if we wouldn't show the dialog (and not start the game) the user
would get a slide show (software rendering) and navigating a menu with the
mouse when you get 3 frames per second can be quite annoying.

Alternatives are welcome. Notice that my plan means that users of the other
spins who install an opengl game through yum will get the same dialog if they
don't have direct rendering available. I believe this is a feature, but if
others disagree then please say so, then I won't spend time on this.

Regards,

Hans