games spin

Wart wart at kobold.org
Sun Sep 30 20:18:57 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Hans de Goede wrote:
>>

>>> Do we want to put autodownloader using games on the spin? Sofar I
>>> deliberately didn't put any on there.
>>
>> Is there any reason not to? I can see some reasons why but I would
>> like to hear your thoughts on that. One reason why I think we should
>> do that is because it is useful to demo some of the nice games in
>> Linux. As far as licensing is concerned, IMO gaming content
>> restrictions can be a bit more than gaming engines due to the artistic
>> values in the former though I definitely prefer less restrictions.
>>
>> In most conferences these days, they have bandwidth that pulling in
>> game content just before the demo is not a problem and doing such a
>> demo for a upcoming local FOSS conference is of one my main
>> motivations behind working on this. Btw, I haven't include the regular
>> GNOME games packages in the kickstart file. Do we want to do that?
>>

> Erm,
>
> I just think it looks silly to ask people to download some 75 Mb's (to
> RAM!) after they have just downloaded 3 Gb worth of DVD.
>
> What do the others think? Wart? Chris(topher) ?

Are the Live DVDs installable to the hard disk?  If so, then I think
they should definitely be included.   Even if not, I think they should
be included.  Not everyone is going to be downloading the 3GB DVD image
in order to get the DVD; people may be copying and/or sharing the DVD
with friends, giving them away at conferences, etc.

+1 for including autodownloader games.

--Wart