Good candidate for packaging: Conquest

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 10 12:37:29 UTC 2008

Peter Lemenkov wrote:
>>  PL>      (1/28/99) Due to a little prodding from Sunsite, I've decided
>>  PL> on the ARTISTIC LICENSE (see the LICENSE file) for Conquest.
>>
>>  Version 1 of the Artistic license is not permitted in Fedora.  Which
>>  version is this under?
>
> Licensing terms for Conquest:
>
> http://conq.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/conq/trunk/LICENSE?revision=148&view=markup
>
> For me it looks like Artistic License v.1
>
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/artistic-license-1.0.php

As noted in the OSI link above, artistic 1.0 has legal issues and is a
deprecated license. It is not permitted for new packages for quite
sometime now though packages that were earlier included still are there
while some folks were trying to get them relicensed after discussions
with the various upstream projects. Fedora 10 will have no more artistic
1.0 licensed packages anymore.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Artistic1Removal

If possible, point upstream to this page and see if they are interested
to move to artistic 2.0 or one of the many other permitted licenses.

Rahul