Making a games spin?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Dec 3 16:09:44 UTC 2008

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

<snip>

>> If you're planning on doing this anyways it would be great if you could
>> perhaps become the maintainer of an official Fedora Games spin?
>
> We'll see. In principle I am willing to do it, but I want to make sure
> I am qualified. If I actually get it to work, I'll ask about details.
> I have access to i386 and x86_64 systems for doing builds. If we need
> both. Though I think for a livedvd i386 is probably good enough for the
> PC world. I don't have access to other architectures.
>
> I already noticed the kickstart file still refers to starfighter which
> seems to have been dropped. I'll file a bug on that after I double
> check things.

That was removed because of legal reasons, which as of yet are not resolved,
just drop it from the list.

And you may also want do drop vdrift if its in there as it is broken with all
FOSS opengl drivers (iow only works with the blobs).

>> We would really like to see such a spin, but are short on manpower to
>> realize it. (even though it should not be too much work).
>
> Yeah, I saw the notes about that, but what worried me wasn't that I didn't
> fully grok what they were talking about. If it was just that it needed
> about 4.1 GB instead of 4GB, then I'm probably OK, because I am seeing
> and attempting to fix that.

Its mostly things like this and adding new cool games as they get packaged (and
dropping less cool ones to make space I guess). The biggest problem is that
doing test builds to see if things fit (and there are no errors causing the
build to fail) take a lot of time. If you are willing to do that I'm sure they
are plenty of people around willing to help if you hit any issues you cannot
solve yourself, including the Spins SIG.

Regards,

Hans